Sunday, June 14, 2015

Sausage Ravioli with Swiss Chard and Bacon

I often buy Rana tortellini and ravioli because they are the closest thing to what we would normally buy at the store in Italy. Plus they are something easy and quick to cook, especially for the nights in which it is my husband's turn to cook.
Today I was out of pasta though so I decided to toss them with the swiss chard we got from our CSA yesterday, some bacon and some of the delicious Parmesan my sister brought me from Italy. I also used some chicken broth I made a few days ago out of the carcass of a roast chicken.
Everything cooks in one pan, which is something I always like (less washing afterwards!) and it's fairly quick to make.


Sausage Ravioli with Swiss Chard and Bacon

12 oz of Rana Sausage Ravioli
1 bunch of swiss chard
2 slices of bacon
1 garlic clove
2 cups of broth
1 cup of grated parmesan 

Thoroughly wash and dry the Swiss chard. Separate stems from leaves by cutting along the stems. Chop the stems and chop the leaves but keep them separate.

Warm up a large frying pan with tall sides and add the bacon slices at medium heat. Try to render as much of the fat as possible. Remove the slices when close to being done. Here there is a bit of a divergence of opinion between me and my husband: I like chewy bacon, and I use it like I would pancetta. So I just chop the bacon up and keep cooking with it. My husband likes crispy bacon, so if you are like him I suggest at this point you stick the bacon in the microwave to finish cooking and making it crisp. Then you can make it into crumbs and add on top of the ravioli at the end. Up to you.

Add the chopped stems and a couple tablespoons of the broth and cook until the stems are getting softer.
Now add the garlic (minced or sliced), the chard leaves, the ravioli and the broth. Bring to a boil and cook until the ravioli are tender (it should take about 5 minutes). If the ravioli are done and you still have too much broth in the pan, take the ravioli out with a spoon and set them aside and keep cooking the sauce until most liquid have evaporated. Then add the ravioli back and most of the parmesan cheese and toss (gently or you will break the ravioli) . Season with salt and pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment