Monday, July 25, 2011

Chicken Sausage with Rhubarb and Onions

This is definitely not an Italian recipe. Almost every ingredient here screams United States, starting from the rhubarb which I had never tasted until moving here. In Italy rhubarb is used to make some kind of hard candy that people used to eat fifty years ago or so, and I know my father still likes to eat it, when he can find it, just out of pure nostalgia. Apart from that it is not used in anything else. I got some rhubarb from the garden of my husband's aunt and I wanted to find a way of using it without making a pie. I just recently finished an enormous and delicious apple pie a friend made for me and I think I need to be off pies for a while. I know there are a lot of other desserts with rhubarb but not many savory dishes. I like the taste of onions with something sweet, and I had some chicken and apple sausages at home that are already slightly on the sweet side so I came up with this recipe. It is surprisingly delicious!

INGREDIENTS

1 large onion
4 stalks of rhubarb
4 chicken and apple sausages (precooked)
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon of sugar
2 tablespoons of olive oil

PREPARATION

Chop the onion and the rhubarb and cook them in a skillet with the olive oil until the onion is soft and translucent and the rhubarb is mushy.
Add the balsamic vinegar and the sugar and cook another 5 minutes.
Slice the sausages and add them to the onion-rhubarb mix, stirring until warmed up.
Serve with a side of brown rice if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment